Fellow in Co-operative Strategy and Governance
Associate professor, Centre for Industrial Relations and Human Resources
- PhD, Alberta
- BComm, Dalhousie
- Certified Human Resources Professsional (CHRP)
Dionne’s research explores the intersections among strategy, HR systems, unions, and employee involvement in both private and public sector organizations, and the professionalization of HR in Canada. More recent research projects include compensation systems and inequality in organizations, and organizational compliance with labour and employment policy. Her major research projects with the Centre for the Study of Co-operatives include examining the political economy of co-operative governance, and co-operative development in rural and Aboriginal communities in western Canada as part of the Co-operative Innovation Project. Dionne has published articles in top journals in her field including Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, British Journal of Industrial Relations, Personnel Psychology, and Human Resource Management. She has won two international awards for her research from the Academy of Management and the Labor and Employment Relations Association, and two University of Saskatchewan teaching awards.
Co-op–Related Research Projects and Publications
- Fulton, M., & Pohler, D. (2014) Co-operative Development in Rural and Aboriginal Communities. Saskatchewan Business Magazine, April/May.
- Pohler, D., & Fulton, M. (2013) Why we should take the co-operative business model more seriously. StarPhoenix, November 8.
- Fulton, M., & Pohler, D. Governance and Managerial Effort in Collectively-Owned Enterprises. Under second round review at European Review of Agricultural Economics.
- Fulton, M., Pohler, D., & Fairbairn, B. The Political Economy of Good Co-operative Governance. Working Paper.
- Fairbairn, B., Fulton, M., & Pohler, D. Governance of Co-operative Federations: Principles and a Framework for Research. Working Paper.
- Fulton, M., Pohler., D., Massie, M., Overlander, D., & Wu, Haotao. Co-operative Development in Rural and Aboriginal Communities in Western Canada. Data Analysis.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Pohler, D., & Schmidt, J. (2015) Does Pay-For-Performance Strain the Employment Relationship? The Effect of Manager Bonus Eligibility on Non-Management Employee Turnover. Personnel Psychology, Online Early View: doi: 10.1111/peps.12106.
- Pohler, D., & Luchak, A. (2014) Balancing Efficiency, Equity and Voice: The Impact of Unions and High Involvement Work Practices on Work Outcomes. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 67(4): 1063-1094. (Lead Article)
- Pohler, D., & Luchak, A. (2014) Are Unions Good or Bad for Organizations? The Moderating Role of Management's Response. British Journal of Industrial Relations, Online Early View: DOI: 10.1111/bjir.12042.
- Pohler, D., & Willness, C. (2014) Balancing Interests in the Search for Occupational Legitimacy: The HR Professionalization Project in Canada. Human Resource Management, 53(3): 467-488.
- Brandl, J., & Pohler, D. (2010) The Role of the Human Resource Department and Conditions That Affect Its Development: Explanations from Austrian CEOs. Human Resource Management, 49(6): 1025-46.
- Luchak, A., & Pohler, D. (2010) Pensions as Psychological Contracts: Implications for Work Outcomes. Industrial Relations, 49(1): 61-82.
- Luchak, A., Pohler, D., & Gellatly, I. (2008) When Do Committed Employees Retire? The Effects of Organizational Commitment on Retirement Plans. Human Resource Management, 47(3): 581-599.
- Pohler, D., & Luchak, A. (2014) The Missing Employee in Employee Voice Research. In Wilkinson, A., Donaghey, J., Dundon, T., & Freeman, R. (eds). The Handbook of Research on Employee Voice: 188-207. Edward Elgar.
- Pohler, D. (2014) Ontario: Please Come Back to the CCHRA. The Canadian HR Reporter, July.
- Pohler, D. (2013) Labour Union Impacts on Organizations and Employees in Canada. Western Policy Analyst, 5(2): 7-8.
- Book Review of Doellgast, V. (2012) Disintegrating Democracy at Work: The Future of Good Jobs in the Service Economy, Ithaca NY: Cornell ILR Press. Work and Occupations (2013), 40(1): 67-69.
- Pohler, D. (2012) The Merit of a Points-Based Merit System at the Edwards School of Business. Ivey Publishing. Product #9B11C042, Teaching Note #8B11C042, Jan 17, 2012.
- Pohler, D. (2011) Creating a High Engagement Culture at Aeroplan. Effectif, September/October, 14(4): 45-46.