Building Engaged Communities P2
Getting People Involved
So … what is an engaged community?
- people work together to solve complex issues
- people define local priorities and create a common vision
- people are concerned, committed, and participate in community events
- people value local knowledge and expertise
- people volunteer their time for the benefit of the community
- people recognize and value cultural diversity
- people’s opinions are listened to and respected
- people show up for events, get behind local initiatives, and vote in elections
There are varying dynamics in community engagement. This section examines four hallmarks of engaged communities – cultural vitality, community expertise, empowerment through education, and civic engagement – and how they contribute to building community.