Students interested in doing graduate work in co-operatives and co-operative studies have a number of options. Through the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy (JSGS), the Centre offers a three-course Graduate Certificate in the Social Economy and Co-operatives. The certificate is designed for people who are working and wish to pick up specialized knowledge on the social economy and co-operatives and/or people who want to try a few graduate courses before embarking on a full Master's degree. Also, through the JSGS, students enrolled in the Master of Public Policy and PhD programs are able to take classes on co-operatives and the social economy, and to focus their research on topics related to co-operatives and public policy. Given the strong overlap between policy and co-operatives in areas such as governance, alternative forms of program delivery, and the political economy of co-operative development, the opportunity to specialize on co-operatives in a public policy degree offers exciting options. Finally, the College of Graduate Studies and Research offers an Interdisciplinary Concentration in Co-operative Studies. The Concentration is designed for students who wish to do interdisciplinary work that does not fall within the public policy area.

Students interested in any of these programs must apply and be admitted to the University of Saskatchewan.

Graduate Certificate in the Social Economy and Co-operatives

This innovative new certificate program was offered for the first time in the fall of 2015; a new blended-delivery model was introduced in September 2016 and continues with admission of an annual cohort in September each year. The program addresses a number of broad issues around co-operatives and social enterprises:
  • What is the role of co-operatives and social enterprises in the modern economy?
  • What policy conditions support their development?
  • What governance structures are most effective in dealing with the challenges of contemporary society?
  • How do leadership and decision-making skills affect the performance of co-ops and social economy organizations?
Check out the promotional video for the certificate here.

(back to top)

The certificate is offered through the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, with generous development funding from one of our sponsoring organizations — CHS Inc.

You can find more information about the certificate here.

For further information, please contact:
Paul Thompson, Knowledge Mobilization Officer
Centre for the Study of Co-operatives
University of Saskatchewan
101 Diefenbaker Place
Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5B8
ph: 306.966.8502 / fax: 306.966.8517

(back to top)

Master of Public Policy

The Master of Public Policy is taught through the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy. The program offers courses on co-operatives as well as the possibility of a thesis on a co-operative topic. For a program description, qualifications, course information, fee schedule, and information about the internship option, click here.

(back to top)

PhD in Public Policy

The PhD in Public Policy is offered through the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy. Like the Master's degree, the PhD offers the possibility of participating in co-operative courses as well as choosing a dissertation topic focussed on co-operative organizations. For a description of the program, application qualifications, course requirements, and information about tuition, funding, and exams, click here.

You can find the application information for both of these programs here.

Application deadlines are here.

(back to top)

Interdisciplinary Concentration in Co-operative Studies

A third option is the Interdisciplinary Concentration in Co-operative Studies, available through the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Students in this program undertake graduate studies and research with an interdisciplinary cohort of faculty who share a common research interest. Students who are part of a concentration are enrolled as graduate students in the Interdisciplinary Program and receive a Master's or PhD in Interdisciplinary Studies.

Information about the Interdisciplinary Program can be found here.

Students interested in pursuing a Master's or PhD in the Co-operative Studies Concentration should contact Centre Director Murray Fulton.

(back to top)