Announcing a New Book | A Co-operative Dilemma: Converting Organizational Form
6 x 9 paperback / 324 pages / $20 plus gst, shipping and handling / ISBN 978–0–88880–571–3
From the book jacket:
Based on the experience of both academics and practitioners, this book focusses on an issue of paramount importance to co-operatives, non-profits and other social economy organizations, development specialists, and policy makers. Twelve case studies from Canada, Australia, Ireland, and the United States explore the factors that lead businesses to consider converting their organizational form and the processes involved in the decision to mutualize, demutualize, or remutualize.
Cases include the credit union system in Australia, Lilydale Poultry Co-operative in Western Canada, the Prudential Insurance Company in the United States, the Atkinson Housing Co-operative in Toronto, the Coop Santé Aylmer Health Co-op in Quebec, and dairy co-operatives in Ireland.
Although current research provides important insights into the reasons behind business conversions, there is a notable absence of inquiry into the underlying issues that motivate and inform the process of altering an organizational form. This book addresses these concerns.
- Converting Organizational Form: An Introductory Discussion / Jorge Sousa and Roger Herman
Section 1: Demutualizations
- Credit Co-operative to Credit Corporate: Australian Credit Unions / Judy Johnston
- When You Need to Expand: Dakota Growers Pasta Company / Michael Boland
- Striking a Balance: Lilydale Poultry Co-operative / Ellen Goddard, Getu Hailu, and Freda Glover
- Coming Full Circle: Prudential Insurance Company / Fabio R. Chaddad and Fernando R. Chaddad
- Failing Members and Investors: Saskatchewan Wheat Pool / Murray Fulton and Kathy Larson
Section 2: Mutualizations
- A Model for Social Housing: The Atkinson Housing Co-operative / Jorge Sousa
- More Than Just a Band-Aid Solution: Coop Santé Aylmer Health Co-op / Jean-Pierre Girard
- Co-ordination Among Co-operatives: Dakota Carrier Network / Susan Davis and William Patrie
- Solidarity Co-op Works for Ski Community: The Mount Adstock Recreational and Tourism Centre Solidarity Co-operative / Jean-Pierre Girard, in collaboration with Geneviéve Langlois
- The “New” Credit Union: Sunova Credit Union / Brett Fairbairn, with the assistance of Rob Dobrohoczki
- An Unexpectedly Quick Conversion: Virginia Poultry Growers Cooperative / James J. Wadsworth and John W. Brockhouse, Jr.
- From Co-operatives to Conventional Businesses and Back Again: The Irish Co-operative Experience / Robert Briscoe, Olive McCarthy, and Michael Ward
- Thematic Exploration and Looking Forward / Jorge Sousa, Dwayne Pattison, and Roger Herman
Order your copy directly from the Centre for the Study of Co-operatives.